The northern front of houses in Hus Square
Nowadays there is a gallery and an information center in house No. 1210.
House No. 1210 – former jailhouse
For a long time it was a guard house or gaol house built next to the wall and tower Zázvorka. Its construction started after the year 1535. The courtyard between the town hall and the jailhouse had in the middle a paved lane, along which water flew during rain. The gaol was covered with shingles and it had a small tower with a weathercock. There were two paved rooms and a cellar. The most repaired parts of the gaol were windows and their bars due to prisoners’ frequent escape attempts. For certain period the house was even used as a hospital. In 19th century the house was repaired and rebuilt inside. In period of the first republic two cells were used as a municipal prison for homeless people, drunkards etc. They were watched by a warden, who had a service apartment on the ground floor. Perpendicular wall, which terminates the rampart, had to be repaired in 1926. Shattered bricks in it were replaced with stones. Since the 50’s of the 20th century the house was used for living. Nowadays there is a gallery and an information center located in the building.
Its name probably originates from its location. It was behind the pike (in Czech „za závorou”), which barred the road in front of the Regional Gate. Nowadays it is used as a gallery and an observation tower.
Nové Město nad Metují
GPS: 50° 20′ 40.279″N 16° 9′ 4.52″E