Navigation

Select language

  • Česky
  • English
  • Deutsch
  • En français
  • Po polsku
Send page by e-mail

Content

Fountains

Fountain in the chateau park

Based on the burgrave’s sheets we know that one fountain was in the market and the other one in Krajské předměstí. Water was led to them via pipeline. Information on two fountains does not exclude existence of other ones. The original fountains of the Renaissance era were made of wood. With exception of fountains the carpenters were also producing cisterns. There were tubs standing next to the fountain and there was also a trough, which was used for cattle. Consumption of water was quite high, since cattle drank in the morning, before being driven to Bořetín pastureland, and then again in the evening after its return. Excessive water flew to the small lake. The water for cooking and brewing beer was taken from the well. Cutting of ice was duty of the guard, who also had to maintain a narrow trough leading to the fountain and the small lake.  

The first stony fountain is of the year 1663. It was ordered at the stonecutter in Machov, who made it of one sandstone rock. The heavy fountain with weight of 6 ton was brought in winter on a specially made sleigh: transportation lasted five days and bridges had to be strengthened because of it. The transport aroused agitation in three manors. The fountain was placed next to the small lake. Later on it was moved to Horské předměstí in front of the house No. 1006 and then again returned to the square in 1932, specifically in front of the manor brewery, which was being destroyed by this time. The owner of the chateau paid for it to the town 500 crowns. In 1954 the fountain had to give place to Smetana’s monument and it moved to the other side of the entrance road to the chateau in the chateau park, where it has been standing so far.

The second fountain is a little smaller; it is of the year 1709. It is again of one sandstone rock and comes from rocks of Německá Čermná of the county Klodsko, which belonged to the Kingdom of Bohemia at this time. Nowadays it is at the graveyard in Bořetín.

Hus Square well

During reconstruction in 2009, four arches forming a very irregular square ground plan were uncovered near the Holy Trinity Column. Archeologists concluded that this reservoir had been used since the 16th century to supply water to the city, but was backfilled in the 19th century. Water supply to the well seeped in from surrounding rock fissures. Today, the well has been cleaned out once again. The upper section of the well has been fitted with ornamental grating with sections of tempered glass, created by local blacksmith Petr Hartmann.

Well, Husovo Square

 

Well, Husovo Square

 
Well, Husovo Square
 
 
 
 
 
 

headsprings, spring wells

Hus Square well

During reconstruction in 2009, four arches forming a very irregular square ground plan were uncovered near the Holy Trinity Column.

Stony fountain, Husovo Square

The first stony fountain is of the year 1663. It was ordered at the stonecutter in Machov, who made it of one sandstone rock. In 1954 the fountain had to give place to Smetana’s monument and it moved to the other side of the entrance road to the chateau in the chateau park, where it has been standing so far.

Stony fountain at the graveyard in Bořetín

The second fountain is a little smaller; it is of the year 1709. It is again of one sandstone rock and comes from rocks of Německá Čermná of the county Klodsko, which belonged to the Kingdom of Bohemia at this time. Nowadays it is at the graveyard in Bořetín.