Navigation

Select language

  • Česky
  • English
  • Deutsch
  • En français
  • Po polsku
Send page by e-mail

Content

Chateau
 
 ChateauWooden bridgeGarden

Chateau Nové Město nad Metují

www.zameknm.cz 

It can be found in the western edge of the municipal historical reservation, which is located on the arenaceous promontory, surrounded from three parts by the Metuje River. Together with the chateau it represents a pearl situated in the foothills of the Orlické Mountains. It is located next to so called Land Gate – border cross point to the neighboring Poland, through which there was a commercial path even in ancient periods. History of the chateau starts in the year 1501, when Jan Černčický of Kácov established its core in shape of late Gothic castle.

Chateau Nové Město nad Metují

It can be found in the western edge of the municipal historical reservation, which is located on the arenaceous promontory, surrounded from three parts by the Metuje River.

The Northern main chateau tower called the Churn

The northern main chateau tower called the Churn, 30 fathoms (53 m) high, has a roofed parapet walk in the height of 25 m, from which wide surroundings can be seen, as well as skyline of the Krkonoše Mountains and the Orlické Mountains.

Chateau garden

The chateau garden went through a wide adaptation and revitalization under the guidance of the architect Jurkovič in the years before the 1st world war.

Baroque stony figures of the "Dwarf Cabinet"

The middle parterre with bosquets, broderies and the baroque fountain fulfills decorative function. Its part is "theatron" with stony figures of the "Dwarf Cabinet".

Power plant

Power plant

The old manor waterworks, standing on the embankment of the river under the south-western wing of the chateau and since 1688 for 219 years supplying the chateau, the brewery and the town with water, he changed into hydraulic power plant, the source of electricity.